Monday, May 26, 2008

Secret Haruan Fishing Pond 26th February

Alex and Alan first brought me to this pond around 3 weeks ago and I made a promise not to reveal its location.During my first outing,I had plenty of fun with the Tilapias in the pond as I was using my ultra light tackle setup(Triforce 2-8lbs,Cetus 500,5lbs braided line).As I was leaving,I told Alex that the pond looks really good for the Haruans to live in as there were lily pads all over the place.

"Haruans ah?They have it in here.",said Alex.

There were mixed emotions when he told me.I was excited yet a little disappointed as he didn't tell me earlier if not I will be bringing my lures.Never mind then.I'll head over this place again.

A week later,I came back to this place right after college to try my hands on the Haruans.While Alex was busy entertaining the Tilapias,I was busy casting my spinner bait for Haruans.30 minutes into fishing,that's when I had a hit when I cast my spinner bait along the weedy areas.I struck and the fish was no match for my medium setup (Cherrywood 8-17lbs,Ryobi Zester 1000.15lbs braided line).

A few pictures using my handphone's camera,I released the fish to fight for another day.My quota of the day had been fulfilled.I packed up and watched Alex and Alan fishing instead and went home after that.

On the 26th,I was really convinced that the pond has many Haruans in it but just that they were still lure shy.I went back to the pond,armed with the same Haruan setup and spinnerbait to give it another go.This time around,I invited Melven along as we haven't been fishing together for a very long time already.

When I reached there,I stumbled upon a guy whom I met during my first trip.Apparently,this guy had been frequenting this place almost everyday for Tilapias ever since the first time I met him.

Tilapia landed using a light setup.He was using a heavy setup before but I guess I managed to brainwashed him the last time I had a chat with him about the pleasure that you get from ultra light fishing.

Tilapias this size can be commonly found in the pond.Note the background.The pond was partially covered with grasses and weeds.

With my proven-effective spinnerbait,I cast to potential spots that may have Haruans awaiting unsuspecting preys to wander across the strike zone.Casts after casts still no willing takers.I then proceeded to the place where I had a hookup during the last trip.I casted and retrieved my line slowly.

Out of nowhere,a Haruan jumped a foot out of the water with my spinnerbait in its mouth!Before I could strike,I could see my spinnerbait already out of the Haruan's mouth.Arghhh!!!Fish lost!But then again,this incident clearly shows that the Haruans in the pond were not totally wiped out by poachers yet.So I was not utterly disappointed by the outcome.I was pretty confident that I would have a Haruan landed on that day.

While I was still cursing about my lost fish,Alan who was 50 meters away shouted to me that he had a hook up.By the time I reached there,he had already landed the fish.

Haruan landed using Berkeley Lizard-Like Power Bait with Nitro Jigheads on a Daiwa Smak and Shimano rod.The size of his Haruan was like the one I landed during my first trip here.

Released to fight another day.

From the time we arrived which was around 5.30p.m.,Melven was standing or sitting at this spot until we left.He was using a weedless presented Berkeley White Grub Power Bait.I suggested that he has to constantly change spots but I guess he must be thinking that the fishes in this pond were dumb enough to take his bait at one designated spot.

After some time,we decided to call it a day.The Haruans were obliging but sometimes,you just need some good luck to land them.Hopefully in my next visit,the Haruans will instead jump onto the ground rather than back into the water.

1 comment:

renaissanceman said...

where's this secret pond?