Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kuala Sungai Pinang Haruan Hunt 15th March

Fellow forumer Looney wanted to pay Balik Pulau's famous Tarpon Gate a visit.I was pretty free on the particular Saturday so I volunteered to be their guide.

For this trip,it was participated by myself,Doraemon,Looney,David,Bitt,Mbax and Wei Yean.We reached Balik Pulau pretty early and we began casting for Tarpons and hopefully managing to get a few by-catches(Barramundi,Mangrove Jack).

After a few casts with my fly setup,I was already rewarded with a Tarpon.Phew...No more chance of getting an egg for the day.The other guys was using hard bodied lures except Doraemon who was using a flyfishing setup as well.

I didn't take pictures of the Tarpon because it was not a very big one.I kinda regretted for not taking pictures of it because that was the only Tarpon that I landed on that day.

However,I struck a better specimen on fly that's worth taking pictures of it.

My first ever Haruan on fly.I saw an empty opening among the snags and I somehow managed to cast my fly into where I wanted it to be.As soon as the fly landed,there was a take.It was rather easy landing this fish as the fly was stuck to its upper gums.I guess the fish was feeling the pain and willingly surrendered.

After a few pictures,I released the fish back into its very own habitat.Hopefully it will not be taken away as many of these kampung folks will put nets and etc along the water way.

Looney and co soon wanted to venture further down the water way.I followed them and when I reached,I've already saw Wei Yean landed a Barramundi.Wow!What a lucky guy.I had been here for so long and yet to land a Barramundi and he did it on his very first trip.According to Doraemon,the fish hooked itself at the throat and there was no way of reviving it.Wei Yean then decided to take it back as dish.

Not long after it landed the Barramundi,he landed a Mangrove Jack.It was just slightly bigger than the Baby Cima lure that he was using so it was nothing to shout about.Oh well,he managed to land those by-catches but not the commonly found Tarpons or Haruans.Pretty weird isn't it?

We stayed on for a couple of more hours before heading home.I learned a very valuable lesson that day.No,it was not how to land a Haruan.It was bring an empty spool when you want to change your fly line from sinking line to floating line and vice-versa.I learned the hard way when my brand new lines were entangled and it took me for more than an hour to untangle it under the hot sun.So anglers out there,take note!Do not repeat my silly mistake.

No comments: