Friday, February 1, 2008

Fishing Tuition 22nd January

It has been a long wait for Kean Chung for a second round of fishing with me.The last time we went for a trip together was on Chu's boat in Kendi where we had a jolly good time with all the mini Groupers and "Scissors Fish".I recommended Kean Chung to pay Bedong Angling Park a visit as I know it will further poison him into sport fishing.

The day started horribly for me.I don't know why but each time when I head down to Bedong,disasters will struck me.First of all,Lino with his usual self,was late for fishing.Waking up late means there is an absolute no chance to avoid the morning traffic.We first tried going up the Penang Bridge but there was almost a stand still where we could only inch our way every five minutes or so.

Seeing such situation,Lino opted to take the ferry.That didn't do any good at all.The jam built up from Jelutong Expressway until the ferry terminal.

During the jam,Lino asked me if we could swap drivers as he could no longer play the patience game.Not long after that,a car by the side of Lino's car tried squeezing in so being my usual "kwai lan" self,I did not wish to give the car a wish to overtake me.I accelerated a bit trying to get close to Kean Chung's car(we went by two cars as Kean Chung had to head back to his house right after fishing) to close the gap when disaster strikes.

BAMM!!! That was the sound of Lino's car crashing onto Kean Chung's rear bumper.OH MY GOD!What have I done?Crash Analysis : After stepping onto the accelerator,I could not find the brakes as the brakes of a Merc are on a higher platform compared to all the cars that I drove.I broke Lino's corner light and dented Kean Chung's car's rear bumper.

To make things worst,I just lost my football betting the night before and I was already financially tight.With the accident,HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO PAY UP?

Lino suggested that I should chill out as it was a small matter.What small matter?My very FIRST accident and it was not done to my car but my friends'!

We continued our journey to Bedong with Lino being a driver now.I was literally TRAUMATISED!

We finally reached Bedong in the afternoon after many grueling hours on the road.It didn't take long before the action starts.

Kean Chung hooked onto a fish.

And he was rewarded with his first Bedong's siakap.Not the biggest but at least it was something.Note Boo Aik with a long pole doing pole fishing.No fish were caught on this method of course.

I wanted to try Ivan's Cherry Twig(it was actually a Cherry Wood 1-6lbs) so I took from him the night before.I caught a few fish with it and it was great fun on this rod.Lino wanted to give it a try and he was too hooked onto a fish with the Cherry Twig + Cetus 500(5lbs line) setup.

Lino having fun with the ultra light setup.

A good sized Siakap to be fought with such setup on lure.

Close up on the fish and lure.Lucky Craft Wander Metallic Iwashi.Mishandling of the fish from previous anglers can be seen as the fish was heavily scarred on its body.

The revival.

The release.

We proceded to Pond 2 to have a go with the Lady Fish or Mama Siakaps.Boo Aik grabbed a rod and hooked on a small piece of fish meat.He played bottom just by the banks and was rewarded with a Tilapia.The first I've seen after numerous outings at the pond.

I was then using pellet in hope of landing a Lady Fish.Instead,a Siakap took the pellet and line kept going out of Ivan's Mitchell reel.As the line kept spewing out,I could see that there was bird nest all over the reel so I tried taking out as much line to put the line back in proper manner in the reel.

"PIAK!".I pulled a little too hard and the line snapped.So what now?The fish was still at the end of the line.Not wanting to let the fish suffer by moving around with 50 meters of line,I decided to fight it like using a hand line.

Ivan's reel was spooled with a 4lbs Stren line and it definitely did not help.Each time the fish pulls,I had to let go of the line as I fear there will be another line break and it sure burns my fingers!After a few minutes of running trying to chase the fish while gaining back lines,the fight was over!It was one of the best fights I had and oh boy,what a good sized Siakap!

To make things sweeter,the fish was safely released.

Fishing with the boys was fun.There were laughters every now and then and yes,I have to start saving up for the damages did to their cars!SIGH!

No comments: