Thursday, January 3, 2008

Air Ganda 29th December 2007

Just a day after my Langkawi trip,I hit the road again for another fresh water fishing adventure.This time around,it was just me and Lordman(Roderick) who made the trip to the Toman Heaven Air Ganda.Of course,making this trip happen was not an overnight thing.A month of preparation and neglecting parents' instructions were needed to make this trip happen.

First I picked up Lordman from his place at 3.45 a.m.To start out the day,we took the wrong route and had to make a U-turn at the Sungai Petani exit which wasted us 40 valuable minutes.Nevermind the slight delay.Lucky thing we started our journey early to make up for the lost time.

The journey to Air Ganda was pretty stressful.I didn't have much sleep and to make things worst,the newly built highway had no lights.There was once when I almost crashed my car into a herd of cows which were loitering around the sides of the highway.Thank goodness I had Lordman to alert me about the danger!

We finally reached the Air Ganda town and we had made an appointment to meet up with Yusuf(our boatman) at a grocery store.Time was already 7.15 a.m.We were supposed to meet him at 7 a.m. but he was nowhere to be seen.He finally arrived at 7.30a.m. and he told us that his child gave him a bit of headache.Apologies accepted and better get me fish!

Hopes were high with stories of numerous Tomans being landed per day.

Lordman who planned for this trip and Yusuf the boatman.

Sceneries in Air Ganda.




It was a 30 minutes ride from the jetty and soon we were already wetting our lines.Schools of Toman fries were surfacing everywhere and indeed this place is a Toman Heaven!Cast after cast,no strikes or fish.Where were the mothers?

Scrrreeeeeettttttttt!!!!!!

That were the sound that came from Lordman's Nasci 3000 reel.Hook on!He gave the Toman which whacked his Rapala Dive-To(Natural Colour) no chance and soon the fish was safely landed."Wow!This place is really a Toman Heaven!",I said to myself.Right after releasing the fish,somehow Lordman's match winning lure fell inside the water.What a nightmare for him!

After the first Toman landed,the fishing were so slow that we had no more bites for the morning session.Yusuf were left clueless about the shut down and were mumbling all day about the poor catch rate.My sky high hopes of landing a handful of Tomans were reduced to landing just about any fish that was willing to take my lure!

After a quick lunch at one of the huts,we were fishing again and Yusuf went to every spots that would normally produce fish.Sadly,the fish was not cooperating and this clearly didn't help to reduce our frustrations at all.

"Cast there.",instructed Yusuf.We took out our Sebarau outfit and casted towards the tree stumps that were submerged above the water.

Bamm!Lordman had a hook on again!There were not much fight this time as the Sebarau was pretty small.He was using Halco Sorcerer 52 Pink Fluoro at that time.

Still fishless,I could feel the pressure now.All the humiliations that I might suffer if I go home fishless made me double my effort in search of my first fish.I was finally rewarded with a decent sized Sebbie for my persistence by using the ever reliable Rapala Shad Rap 5cm Gold Fish colour.Aaaahhh!What a relief!

Another Sebbie which took my highly effective Yo-zuri Altima Spoon.

There were Toman fries surfacing around that spot too but the mothers were not willing to take our lure.The mothers were having a PMS?

A beautiful Spotted Featherback which were caught by the rawai set out by local fisherman.What a sorry sight.

There were no more fish landed that day between the two of us.I had a few taps on my Altima by the Sebbies but my lure were too large for them.Sadly I didn't have the 10g with me at that time if not I would've landed more.

As for Lordman,he had so many hook ups and many of his fish were lost just by the boat side.High rodding was the factor to his failure.

Oh well,I've definitely learned a lot from this trip.Yusuf said the coolness of the water may have contributed to the Toman's inactiveness and I guess I have to agree with him.The water was indeed cool!Cool water = More oxygen = Less rises.

The beautiful sunset did put a smile back on my face after a long tiring day.I had a good boatman and a good fishing mate.What more to complain?Air Ganda,I still believe it's a Toman Heaven!

No comments: